TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Roleplay Date Conversion

• Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
 #29809  by Philip Culmer
 Fri May 31, 2019 5:47 am
I'm currently playing with producing a smartwatch app (or apps) to show local time for Manticore, Gryphon, and Sphinx; obviously, if this ever goes any further than a purely private project, appropriate approval will be sought before any sort of sharing or publication.

One issue, at least at the spreadsheet stage of development is that 20th and 21st century based software isn't great at working on dates in what, to us, is the 40th century: most functions revert to a base of 1900CE, wrapping at the end of the 21st century. (Edit - Google sheets seems to be better on this)

I have a vague memory of some mention of a conversion of current dates to a roleplayed PD date - does anybody recall this, and possibly what the roleplayed dates were?

(Edit)
Also, here's a spreadsheet with my calculations - is there anyone interested in critiquing my figures?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
 #30029  by Karyn Hill, KDE, QBM, MP
 Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:41 pm
I've seen discussions about this but can't recall who was involved. Since none of them seem to have noticed this post, if you'd like, I can submit it as a question from the House of Commons as a question to the Prime Minister. Those questions get passed to the person who is able to answer it.
Philip Culmer liked this
 #30032  by Peter Gold
 Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:13 pm
Wouldn't it be simpler to calculate SKM local to PD followed up by adding the PD calc?
Earth is on the same calendar we are using in real life except the base year number is offset. That keeps everything in the 20th century as far as the spreadsheet is concerned.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#30093  by Philip Culmer
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:12 pm
Peter Gold wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:13 pm
Wouldn't it be simpler to calculate SKM local to PD followed up by adding the PD calc?
Earth is on the same calendar we are using in real life except the base year number is offset. That keeps everything in the 20th century as far as the spreadsheet is concerned.
Possibly, though one has to allow for the correct placement of leap years.
Thankfully, Google Sheets is better at handling dates - though I will need to translate it all into Lua to get it working on the watch.

PMQs sounds like a great idea, Karyn.
 #30170  by Rowan Wagstaff-Weston
 Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:29 pm
As a kludge, if you add 103 to the PD year then days of the week and leap years all line up correctly - so, for example, 1921PD would be the same calendar as 2024CE, unless my calculations are off.
 #30179  by Rowan Wagstaff-Weston
 Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:46 am
Rowan Wagstaff-Weston wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:29 pm
As a kludge, if you add 103 to the PD year then days of the week and leap years all line up correctly - so, for example, 1921PD would be the same calendar as 2024CE, unless my calculations are off.
Correction, that should be 102 years... I miscalculated based on the calendar starting in 0PD rather than 1PD.
 #30220  by Philip Culmer
 Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 pm
That could be a possibility, at least in the immediate future; we might need to look at leap years, though.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

#30226  by Rowan Wagstaff-Weston
 Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:57 pm
Leap years *should* line up as well... since the Gregorian calendar repeats every 400 years, years in the 41st century would have the same distribution of leap years as the equivalent year in the 21st century. Since the year PD is equal to the year CE + 2102, adding 102 rather than 2102 shouldn't change the distribution of leap years etc.
Philip Culmer liked this

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!