TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• LACs with Energy Torpedos

• Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
 #25299  by Richard Brown
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:29 pm
Also fitting lacs with energy torpedoes would make the lacs only good for one form of attack. The Graser/missile set up gives them much more tactical flexibility especially in medium and long range engagements.
Philip Culmer liked this
 #25999  by John MacMillan
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 pm
Andrew Sivula wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 am
The problem with going with ET's is that with Bow and stern walls coming into usage they will become non-viable vs the graser, they are also space intensive as compared to the single graser of the shrike class.
So that's a question I've been wondering. Is there a reason that the Grav lance can't be installed on a missile?
 #26004  by Michael Panter
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39 pm
If I had to guess, it would be a matter of size. HMS Fearless had to lose something on the order of 90% of her armament to mount a single grav lance and accompanying energy torpedoes: it went from 14 missiles and 4 grasers down to 2 missiles in her broadside, as well as gutting the accompanying ammunition magazine space. Given that, it seems likely that it would be impractical to mount a weapon which occupies the better part of a light cruiser on a even a single-drive missile, despite advances in the technology since that point.

That said, this is simply hypothesizing.

Edited: For clarity of point.
 #26010  by Justin Grays
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:15 pm
Michael Panter wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39 pm
If I had to guess, it would be a matter of size. HMS Fearless had to lose something on the order of 90% of her armament to mount a single grav lance and accompanying energy torpedoes: it went from 14 missiles and 4 grasers down to 2 missiles in her broadside, as well as gutting the accompanying ammunition magazine space. Given that, it seems likely that it would be impractical to mount a weapon which occupies the better part of a light cruiser on a even a single-drive missile, despite advances in the technology since that point.

That totally makes sense to me, in all honesty.
 #26013  by Zachary White
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:45 pm
Michael Panter wrote:If I had to guess, it would be a matter of size. HMS Fearless had to lose something on the order of 90% of her armament to mount a single grav lance and accompanying energy torpedoes: it went from 14 missiles and 4 grasers down to 2 missiles in her broadside, as well as gutting the accompanying ammunition magazine space. Given that, it seems likely that it would be impractical to mount a weapon which occupies the better part of a light cruiser on a even a single-drive missile, despite advances in the technology since that point.

She had to loose her missile tubes and Grasers yes - but didn’t she already have the energy torpedoes - I didn’t think that was part of the Grav Lance - pretty sure that is standard equipment on all ships - just isn’t talked about much due to almost never being in range to use them effectively - could be wrong tho - that is off the top of my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #26017  by Michael Panter
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:47 pm
Zachary White wrote:
She had to loose her missile tubes and Grasers yes - but didn’t she already have the energy torpedoes - I didn’t think that was part of the Grav Lance - pretty sure that is standard equipment on all ships - just isn’t talked about much due to almost never being in range to use them effectively - could be wrong tho - that is off the top of my head

While it's not part of the grav lance, energy torpedoes are kind of the point of the grav lance; they're useless if a sidewall is present. It's the grav lance with the range issue, though. As for the torpedoes being standard, I can't speak to that, as I don't have access to the books at the moment; sorry.
 #26021  by Andrew Sivula
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:26 pm
ET were not standard on a CL since they are so short ranged, they still were standard on the DN and SD 1901 era classes

Michael Panter wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:47 pm
Zachary White wrote:

While it's not part of the grav lance, energy torpedoes are kind of the point of the grav lance; they're useless if a sidewall is present. It's the grav lance with the range issue, though. As for the torpedoes being standard, I can't speak to that, as I don't have access to the books at the moment; sorry.
 #30587  by Mitch Dunn
 Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:59 am
Silly thought, but just because the ships drive has gone old school does not mean you couldn't set up mag bottles purely for weapon use. I imagine a volley of ET's at other LAC's or other small craft would be nasty. I would not want them as primary armament, but as something adding into defense, with offensive capabilities.

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!