TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Spreading the fandom

• Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
 #24594  by Stephen Palmer
 Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:32 am
Greetings all!

I introduced a couple of people to the Honorverse this past weekend. One was an old Army buddy. He's 3 or 4 chapters into "On Basilisk Station" now and hooked already. He keeps asking me questions, but I won't give him spoilers. lol

Stephen
 #24614  by Terry Street
 Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:10 pm
LOL ! That is definitely the way it works for most veterans. I joined TRMN and bought the next 2 books almost as soon as I started reading.

Wish your friend well and welcome them to the family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 #24615  by Jeffrey J Hughes, MAJ, RMA
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:23 am
I got 3 books in and now want to buy the first 4. 6 bucks a book on Amazon!
 #24815  by Emilio Desalvo
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:40 pm
Stephen Palmer wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:32 am
He keeps asking me questions, but I won't give him spoilers. lol
Quote Jimmy "The Tulip" Tudeski to him:

Jimmy: Everyone dies.
Oz: [looks worried]
Jimmy: Sooner or later.
 #24830  by Michael Lesnick
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm
One of the things that I like to do, is when I find someone interested but unfamiliar is that I GIFT them a copy of On Basilisk Station. I generally keep at least 1 copy in my car, and like to pick up copies at thrift stores, used book stores and such. I don't know that I've actually recruited any new members this way.... but I have given away 3 copies since joining and I have 3 more at home.....
 #24833  by Timber Lupindo
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:05 pm
I've told a few people about it at work an my S2C uniform generated a lot of positive interest on Halloween. An easy hook is "free on Kindle"; a friend at work is already on the fifth novel. (I just finished The Short Victorious War.)

"It's science fiction space opera. The main character is Honor Harrington. She's a starship captain." That description is short and to the point; it gets positive reactions from anyone even vaguely interested.
 #24856  by Matthew W. Lindquist
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:42 am
I usually talk with them, and offer the first one on audio. Bought it for my chapter to help get people and the crew into it. I will admit it's hard, a lot of the people I bring it up with, don't have time to read. Hence the audio book of Basilisk Station, though a lot of the people I know prefer to read the actual physical copy. I am still holding out for a video series, cause that would make getting people into the fandom way easier.
 #24961  by Rachel Nevins
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:28 pm
I generally give them a link to the free downloads of On Basilisk Station and Honor of the Queen offered by Baen. If they are hooked I give them a copy of the Mission of Honor CD which has the first 10(?) books as well as other books from Baen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#31734  by Michael Bonh
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:22 am

I did the same thing while I was at NTC (Ft.Iwan, CA) and got some guys sin my shop to read this baby I packed with me.

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!