TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Gaming & Marksmanship Program - Useful Links

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #39464  by Frank Gonzalez
 Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:05 am
Chris Hollaway wrote:Dungeons and Dragons would normally be classified as a "Grenade Launcher" class game.

However, given the requirements of COVID isolation and the need to network TRMN players throughout the organization, electronic means are used to connect the players. Does this change the classification from "Grenade Launcher" to "Plasma Rifle"?

I have a campaign starting on January 24th so an immediate answer is not required, and we can track accumulated time until a definitive answer is received.
All RPGs are Grenade Launcher if it is played on a server like Roll20.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

#39467  by William Karnesky
 Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:42 pm
Chris Hollaway wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:28 am
Dungeons and Dragons would normally be classified as a "Grenade Launcher" class game.

However, given the requirements of COVID isolation and the need to network TRMN players throughout the organization, electronic means are used to connect the players. Does this change the classification from "Grenade Launcher" to "Plasma Rifle"?

I have a campaign starting on January 24th so an immediate answer is not required, and we can track accumulated time until a definitive answer is received.
Frank Gonzalez wrote:All RPGs are Grenade Launcher if it is played on a server like Roll20.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
Frank is correct, if that is all you need, you do not need to read further, as what follows is an explanation of our logic.

The policy that Commander Otahal and I have encouraged is that simply playing a game with electronics is not sufficient to cross the barrier and become an electronic game.

For example, Chess is clearly Disruptor. If you happen to play Chess via Tabletop Simulator or another chess program, you are still playing chess and it is still Disruptor, even if it happens to use an electronic program -- there are no mechanic differences in that game.

To provide a contra-example, the game Civilization has a number of computer versions. It also has a board game. The board game has distinct mechanical differences that make it more playable on the tabletop and they are thus no longer the same game or aimed towards the same playing type, but have become distinct and fall into different categories.

In service,
William E Karnesky, KDE, OG, CBM
Lieutenant Commander, RMN
Deputy Staff Tactical Officer, Office of the FLA
 #45611  by Nathan T Brakefield
 Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:21 am
When there is a discrepancy between a manual and a forum post, such as the placement of Grenade Launcher in Pistol or Rifle, which takes precedent?

The manual says Pistol and a post that I cannot find says Rifle.

Also, based on the AO1805-05 Tribarrel is Pistol. Can we get a final answer or AO to correct any error?

If this has been done, please direct me to it? :)
 #45612  by Frank Gonzalez
 Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:10 pm
I believe manuals released to the TRMN wiki (PDF versions will no longer be released) supercede any older AOs or manual. It has Tribarrel listed under Rifle for non-RMA military members.

https://wiki.trmn.org/wiki/index.php/Bu ... alculating

Look at bottom of page for break down.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

#45616  by William Karnesky
 Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:24 am
Nathan T Brakefield wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:21 am
When there is a discrepancy between a manual and a forum post, such as the placement of Grenade Launcher in Pistol or Rifle, which takes precedent?

The manual says Pistol and a post that I cannot find says Rifle.

Also, based on the AO1805-05 Tribarrel is Pistol. Can we get a final answer or AO to correct any error?

If this has been done, please direct me to it? :)
Frank Gonzalez wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:10 pm
I believe manuals released to the TRMN wiki (PDF versions will no longer be released) supercede any older AOs or manual. It has Tribarrel listed under Rifle for non-RMA military members.

https://wiki.trmn.org/wiki/index.php/Bu ... alculating
Good Evening MCWO Brakefield,

Frank is again correct.

The wiki manual was released after the PDF and AO and therefore supersedes both.

Further, The First Lord of the Admiralty answered this before the Wiki manual was published, as quoted here:
Martin Lessem, FLA wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm
Jill McTavish wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 pm
I want to be sure this is correct, so I can calculate the new award method appropriately. Before this manual came out, Tribarrel was Pistol and Grenade Launcher was Rifle. Those are showing as Rifle and Pistol respectively in the manual (so they flipped).

If it is correct, I have some people awarded the High Expert Ribbon in Rifle due to RPGs that will be awarded High Expert Ribbon in Pistol for the same games. Splitting it out based on date seems overly complicated and impossible to track beyond a small group of people.
here is a slight error there. *Both* should be Rifle
I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

In Service,
William E Karnesky, KDE, OG, GS, QBM, CBM
Commander, RMN
Deputy Staff Tactical Officer, Office of the FLA
 #45620  by Nathan T Brakefield
 Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:19 pm
No Sir,

Thank you, I just couldn't find it. I appreciate the help.
William Karnesky liked this

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!