TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Question concerning the RMA levels for Marksmanship as used in the RMN, etc.

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #28612  by Shel Tozer-Kilts
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:52 pm
David Misener wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:30 am
No clarification came from he who writes the ao, its all been interpretation. Like the how do we convert from old to new when the standard was to wait until all 50 sessions were done before submitting
The clarification came from Jeffrey Webb, who wrote the AD that the AO is based on. You can find that FAQ thread elsewhere in this forum, but the relevant piece is:

“9. So, Navy Pistol encompasses Army Pistol, Grenade, Flechette Gun, Plasma Carbine and Tribarrel. How do I score that?

Navy and Marine Corps members can earn all the individual weapons the Army program has listed. The trick is, for ribbon rack purposes, you wear the highest qualification level of the weapons grouped under Pistol or Rifle per AO 1803-03. So, if you're a Marksman with Pistol, Expert with Grenade and High Expert in Plasma Carbine, you'd wear the Pistol High Expert ribbon.”

I disagree with it, but it’s how we’re doing things, and is, at this point, standardized.
William Karnesky liked this
 #28613  by Shel Tozer-Kilts
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:53 pm
Here is the link to the clarifications thread:

viewtopic.php?f=567&t=6159
 #28614  by Peter Gold
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm
It does have the advantage that if you ever shift to RMA it's still disaggregated by weapon.
And for role play purposes you can legitimately claim statuses by individual weapon even if it doesn't show on the ribbon rack.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#28616  by William Karnesky
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:34 pm
Peter Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm
It does have the advantage that if you ever shift to RMA it's still disaggregated by weapon.
And for role play purposes you can legitimately claim statuses by individual weapon even if it doesn't show on the ribbon rack.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Yes, but it has the disadvantage of disincentivizing those that don't intend to switch from playing different genres of games. If your group gets sick of ground based war games after 100 hours and decides to play something else like from the Disrupter (family games), grenade launcher (RPGs), or Plasma Rifle (strategic PC games) categories they stop progressing towards any tangible reward until they have spent the same 100 hours in that.

If you view the award as a random thing given out that doesn't have a purpose beyond adding to the fruit salad, that's fine. However, if the purpose is to incentivize the members to strive towards the reward and organize games, this disincentivizes the organization of certain types of games until reward goals have been met.
Peter Gold, Joseph Harney, VADM and -1 others liked this
 #28623  by David Misener
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:13 pm
This is why we need the marksmanship manual released, and clarifications from the FLA on the application of the AO which we have not had in the last year
 #28630  by Jana Otahal
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:30 am
William Karnesky wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:34 pm
If you view the award as a random thing given out that doesn't have a purpose beyond adding to the fruit salad, that's fine. However, if the purpose is to incentivize the members to strive towards the reward and organize games, this disincentivizes the organization of certain types of games until reward goals have been met.
To my understanding, only the highest qualification counts - but the rules, as described in the ao / wiki can be a bit confusing, which is why similar questions pop once in a while. The program could use a little of streamlining in my opinion, but that's just me.

@William Karnesky - This is the part I agree on - it in my opinion shouldn't be the case - as having something added to a fruit salad shouldn't be the main goal of things. People like to try new things and games, and that rule in particular goes against that.

I asked about the manual higher up the chain.
 #28888  by Martin Lessem, FLA
 Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Frank Gonzalez wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 pm
Hello Everyone,

The AO that establishes the RMA as the defacto program for marksmanship awards states the following:

Royal Manticoran Navy, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps, and Royal Manticoran Uniformed Civilian branches:

Pistol Marksmanship can be earned via the RMA programs for: Pistol, Grenade, Flechette Gun, Plasma Carbine, Tribarrel

Rifle Marksmanship can be earned via the RMA programs for: Rifle, Disruptor, Grenade Launcher, Plasma Rifle

Does this mean that any hours earned playing games in any of the listed categories under RMN Pistol can be combined towards the RMN Pistol award or is each counted separately even though they all earn the same award?

Frank Gonzalez
Cheif Gunner's Mate, RMN
Manticore Central Control ATC-01
If you are *NOT* RMA or a Civilian Branch using the RMA Awards (SFC, Diplomatic Corps, Intelligence Corps), then the total hours combine for the purposes of the RMN Marksmanship Awards.

I hope that clarifies
 #28898  by William Karnesky
 Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 pm
Martin Lessem, FLA wrote:
Frank Gonzalez wrote:
Hello Everyone,

The AO that establishes the RMA as the defacto program for marksmanship awards states the following:

Royal Manticoran Navy, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps, and Royal Manticoran Uniformed Civilian branches:

Pistol Marksmanship can be earned via the RMA programs for: Pistol, Grenade, Flechette Gun, Plasma Carbine, Tribarrel

Rifle Marksmanship can be earned via the RMA programs for: Rifle, Disruptor, Grenade Launcher, Plasma Rifle

Does this mean that any hours earned playing games in any of the listed categories under RMN Pistol can be combined towards the RMN Pistol award or is each counted separately even though they all earn the same award?

Frank Gonzalez
Cheif Gunner's Mate, RMN
If you are *NOT* RMA or a Civilian Branch using the RMA Awards (SFC, Diplomatic Corps, Intelligence Corps), then the total hours combine for the purposes of the RMN Marksmanship Awards.

I hope that clarifies
Wonderful news, thank you for clarifying!
 #28906  by Andrew Sivula
 Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 am
This is a major change from everything that we have had been given previously, can we get an ao stating this
Martin Lessem, FLA wrote:
Frank Gonzalez wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Frank Gonzalez
Cheif Gunner's Mate, RMN

I hope that clarifies
 #28907  by Jana Otahal
 Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 am
Andrew Sivula wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 am
This is a major change from everything that we have had been given previously, can we get an ao stating this
Agreed - If anything, if it's made into an official AO or in another official capacity - I can pin it into the Sticky topic as a link, for quick clarification for everyone to easily find, since it's one of the more asked questions regarding the Marksmanship Program & also where the confusion often happens.

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!