TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Can I count my League Bowling toward a marksmanship award?

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #40597  by Kaye Downing
 Sat May 15, 2021 6:54 pm
I asked how to calculate the points for the award since my winter league bowling has finished so I can apply for my marksmanship award (s) and was told that bowling does not count. Will someone please clarify this for me and tell me how I calculate points for the award. I have all of my documentation.

Kaye Downing, KDE, OG, MP
Cdr., RMN
HMS Atropos
 #40598  by Frank Gonzalez
 Sat May 15, 2021 8:28 pm
Kaye Downing wrote:I asked how to calculate the points for the award since my winter league bowling has finished so I can apply for my marksmanship award (s) and was told that bowling does not count. Will someone please clarify this for me and tell me how I calculate points for the award. I have all of my documentation.

Cdr., RMN
HMS Atropos
In Home Fleet bowling is counted simply by the time spent playing. We don't track pin totals. I would suggest reporting the start and end times for the league match since they can change from week to week.

Frank Gonzalez
HF Tac Officer

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

#40620  by William Karnesky
 Mon May 17, 2021 4:34 pm
Kaye Downing wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 pm
Hi Frank,

I am the only TRMN member.

Kaye
Then you would need to have two other people verify that you played the times specified in your report.
Marksmanship Manual: Recording wrote:A game qualifies if two or more TRMN members are engaged in playing it, or one member plays with two non-members willing to verify the game session.
And it would be 1-credit per hour
Marksmanship Manual: Calculating Credits wrote: Credit calculation is simple. The number of hours played is the base credit value of any game. This number is modified by the number of TRMN members participating in a game. The result is the credit value of the game session.

The minimum credits possible for a game session is 0.25 credits, or 15 minutes. If a game lasts less than 15 minutes, multiple plays might be necessary to make the minimum time.

Credit Multiplier
Code: Select all
Number of Players	Multiplier
One or Two		1
Three			2
Four			3
Five or More		4
William E Karnesky, KDE, OG, CBM
Lieutenant Commander, RMN
Deputy Staff Tactical Officer, Office of the FLA  
 #40641  by Kaye Downing
 Thu May 20, 2021 1:21 pm
Thank you so much for your reply. Now I have more questions. Third Fleet has denied that bowling can count for Marksmanship yet Home Fleet does count it. I thought that the Marksmanship type of game activities had to be uniform across all of TRMN. Does each fleet have the authority to decide what can and can not be counted? Who does have that authority? That is, in one fleet you can bowl and it counts for an award and in another fleet, it does not. Can someone clarify this for me as I thought that the purpose of the program was for people to get together to enjoy various types of games?

Cdr., RMN
HMS Atropos.
 #40643  by William Karnesky
 Thu May 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Kaye Downing wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:21 pm
Thank you so much for your reply. Now I have more questions. Third Fleet has denied that bowling can count for Marksmanship yet Home Fleet does count it. I thought that the Marksmanship type of game activities had to be uniform across all of TRMN. Does each fleet have the authority to decide what can and can not be counted? Who does have that authority? That is, in one fleet you can bowl and it counts for an award and in another fleet, it does not. Can someone clarify this for me as I thought that the purpose of the program was for people to get together to enjoy various types of games?

Cdr., RMN
HMS Atropos.
Each Fleet has individual awarding authority^1, however they must still adhere to the rules of the Marksmanship Manual (available here: http://wiki.trmn.org/wiki/index.php/BuP ... nual:Front) as per Admiralty Order 1803-03 (available here: http://wiki.trmn.org/wiki/index.php/Adm ... er_1803-03).

The Manual makes it quite clear that all games count^2, the only question is the taxonomy of said game. In this case, I believe the first taxological question justifies its classification as Grenade Launcher^3. While they may or may not classify it exactly the same, and may lay out specific reporting requirements, they must give credit for bowling (when played with others willing to verify) to be following both the Admiralty Order and by extension, the Manual.

It is quite possible that your range officer is unaware of the Manual and the Admiralty Order, or unaware of the Manual's definition of what qualifies as a game that earns credits.

I am the Deputy Staff Tactical Officer for the First Lord of the Admiralty, and my duty is to "[promote] gaming throughout TRMN". I have no true authority over your Awarding Authority, but I can answer questions and provide aid and clarifications when it comes to the marksmanship manual and issued guidance from the FLA.

The proper course here is to calmly discuss with the person who said bowling doesn't count the facts as I have laid them out or direct them to this thread where I have provided clear citations. If they still refuse, you have the ability to then talk to their commanding officer, presenting them this same material and the problem. If they still disagree you can continue up the chain.

In Service,
William E Karnesky, KDE, OG, CBM
Lieutenant Commander, RMN
Deputy Staff Tactical Officer, Office of the FLA

1:
http://wiki.trmn.org/wiki/index.php/BuPers:MarksmanshipManual:Calculating wrote:The issuing authority for each division of TRMN is the echelon at which certificates are issued to members. The units under each such authority are responsible for reporting to their issuing authority when a member has reached a marksmanship level. This can be done as soon as the level is reached, or at some predetermined interval—monthly, with reports perhaps. Or quarterly, to align with award cycles.

Each issuing authority will have its own guidance on reporting. For example, each numbered fleet is an issuing authority. That fleet commander or their designated range officer can issue guidance to the ships in that fleet on reporting when a member has earned a marksmanship level. Some issuing authorities will want copies of or access to the records of their subordinate units, others may be satisfied with an email from a ship or installation CO certifying that the requirements have been met. In any case, the records should be kept in case later verification is desired. Blank certificates are available through BuComm for the appropriate issuing authorities.

2:
A game is defined as "Any rules-based activity done for entertainment." and "A game qualifies if two or more TRMN members are engaged in playing it, or one member plays with two non-members willing to verify the game session"

3:
Marksmanship Manual:Taxonomy wrote:Does the game require physical movement in a larger area than a single room?
YES - This is a live-action game or sport, and is classified under Grenade Launcher

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!