TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Gaming Resources for TRMN Members-

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #12846  by Jeffrey A. Webb
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:07 pm
Want to know where to find out information about all the games that are out there? Here's some resources to point you in the right direction:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/ - Board Game Geek is a site that maintains a massive database of board games, with reviews, play reports, and photos. It's a good place to check out that hot new game you have been hearing about, or see if there's a copy of the rulebook for that old game in the back of your closet. The Army Marksmanship Program uses some of the keywords and classifications on BGG to help classify games among our nine weapon categories.

https://rpggeek.com/ - RPG Geek does for role-playing what BGG does for board games. Want to hear about various games in the RPG wheelhouse? Check out RPG Geek.

http://www.rpgnow.com/ RPG Now is a web site where you can download games and gaming material in PDF. You can even get some Honorverse gaming on with http://www.rpgnow.com/product/165792/A- ... -Adventure or http://www.rpgnow.com/product/140093/Sa ... -Rule-Book!

http://finalswordproductions.com/ - Final Sword Productions are the licensed producers of Honorverse gaming materials. Check them out!
Fair Isle, Nicola Hawke, Kris Miller and 4 others liked this
 #12862  by Iain Chiswell-Carter
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 pm
Ooh, thank you for the links! I didn't even KNOW there was a Honorverse RPG available and I've had my eye on SITS since I first learned of it...
 #12872  by Peter Gold
 Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 am
Iain Chiswell-Carter wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 pm
Ooh, thank you for the links! I didn't even KNOW there was a Honorverse RPG available and I've had my eye on SITS since I first learned of it...
Regrettably there is only the one quick start adventure published so far for the Honorverse RPG.
 #12880  by Iain Chiswell-Carter
 Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:34 am
Peter Gold wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 am
Regrettably there is only the one quick start adventure published so far for the Honorverse RPG.
Adding third party adventure modules and resources sounds like the sort of thing we at TRMN could work on, depending on the licenses involved, of course...
Tracy Newby liked this
 #16618  by John Fairbairn, KDE, GACM
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:11 pm
Colonel Webb -

I am interested in qualifying for marksmanship awards. IRL, I was a high-score Sharpshooter (missed Expert by one round ... it jammed in my M14 - GRRRR :P ). Are there any approved target shooting video games or sites that are approved for scores to earn tRMN marksmanship awards?
 #16622  by Philip Culmer
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 pm
I might be mistaken, but my understanding is that all of the approved games are tactical or strategic gameplay based - pistol for land and rifle for space (or possibly the other way round).

If individual FPS types were permitted, I suspect JJ could get a medal for all the HALO he plays. Having said that, there is a HALO themed tactical sim called HALO Wars, but I don't think that's on the board yet.

That's a diversion from your question, though. My understanding is that the marksmanship awards are for social play of tactical games rather than actual marksmanship. (Very explicitly NOT for actual, and pretty sure not for virtual)
Patrick Giese liked this
 #16625  by William Karnesky
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 pm
Philip Culmer wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 pm
I might be mistaken, but my understanding is that all of the approved games are tactical or strategic gameplay based - pistol for land and rifle for space (or possibly the other way round).

If individual FPS types were permitted, I suspect JJ could get a medal for all the HALO he plays. Having said that, there is a HALO themed tactical sim called HALO Wars, but I don't think that's on the board yet.

That's a diversion from your question, though. My understanding is that the marksmanship awards are for social play of tactical games rather than actual marksmanship. (Very explicitly NOT for actual, and pretty sure not for virtual)
The only exception that I am aware of is Rifle Marksmanship allows for Laser tag games to count. Would be nice if they included Nerf as well under the same idea of harmless tactical play, but there are a lot of games that should be on those lists that aren't IMO.

edit, you also do have them reversed. Space, air, and naval for pistol; land for rifle.
 #16634  by Kevin Walsh
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:01 pm
that short adventure for the honorverse rpg is barely enough to get started, we could probably bash together something using any one of a bunch of other systems til they actually publish more material for it, I would suggest one of the Traveller variants or GURPS Space, or any of a number of others. is there any official word on when we will see something else for the official RPG?
 #16635  by Peter Gold
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 pm
I haven't heard anything from Final Sword. They were open to me writing stuff for them to publish, but not sure if that's as a generic TRMN member or from other connections to them.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!