TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Games and Gaming Resources *by* TRMN Members

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #12849  by Jeffrey A. Webb
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 pm
ALCON,

Believe it or not, some members of TRMN are writing games and game-related materials you might find interesting.

1LT(HG) Dennis Sustare of Sandgate Castle HG created the Druid class for Dungeons & Dragons in 1975, and has written a number of RPGs and games with his most recent being the new edition of his classic Bunnies & Burrows game, which is available at http://www.rpgnow.com/product/226680/Bu ... rows-Light as a Pay-What-You-Want product.

PFC(HG) Jeff Dee of Sandgate Castle HG has been illustrating in the game industry since the 70s, with notable work in Dungeons & Dragons along with his newest edition of his classic Villains & Vigilantes RPG, Mighty Protectors. You can check out Mighty Protectors here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/220501/VV ... Protectors

PFC(HG) Diesel LaForce of Sandgate Castle has illustrated many gaming products, including a personal favorite of mine, the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG http://www.rpgnow.com/product/101050/Du ... assics-RPG

PFC(HG) Manda of Sandgate Castle HG is an RPG author and illustrator who has worked on many projects, including the unique and ingenious Cavemaster RPG, the game of prehistoric adventure. Check out Cavemaster here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/101850/Cavemaster-RPG

PFC Corbett Kirkley of Fort Shorncliffe is involved in the excellent Save for Half podcast http://saveforhalf.com/, reviewing and discussing all manner of Old School games.

S2c Glen Hallstrom of Fort Shorncliffe is a cast member of the Thac0's Hammer Podcast http://thacoshammer.info/ and a contributor to Swords & Wizardry Continual Light http://www.rpgnow.com/product/223909/Sw ... nual-Light, as well as a voice artist and RPG illustrator.

S2c James Michael Spahn of Fort Shorncliffe operates Barrel Rider Games, and in addition to working on The One Ring RPG and the new Star Wars line, has his own line of excellent games- including a science fiction rules set called White Star that is some quick and dirty tabletop fun. http://www.rpgnow.com/product/222119/Wh ... --Wizardry PFC James Shields of Fort Shorncliffe is an illustrator whose work graces many of the Barrel Rider Games products. His art is also the cover of Swords & Wizardry Continual Light referenced above.

As for myself - CPT Bobby Dean of Fort Shorncliffe and I are working on our first professional game design for release in 2019. I also write reviews and articles for TSR Games, the spiritual successor to the original TSR that published Dungeons & Dragons from 1974-1999. My Master's Thesis on gaming is available at their site at this link: http://multiverse.world/blog/2017/03/30 ... part-1-10/

How about the rest of you folks out there in TRMN? Who else loves writing games, writing about games, etc? Inquiring minds want to know.
 #12851  by Shawn Merrow
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:47 pm
I use to work for Palladium Books answering email questions. I have also had a large number of articles published in the Rifter their quarterly publication plus excerpt in the Rifts GM Guide and the Rifts Book of Magic. I'm also in the very early stages of making a setting for Savage Worlds.
 #12852  by Jeffrey A. Webb
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:50 pm
That's awesome, Colonel.

I'm a fan of Palladium games, in fact, the 1986 Robotech Book One: Macross was the first RPG I bought with my own money. I have played and love TMNT, Beyond the Supernatural, Ninjas & Superspies, Heroes Unlimited, and of course RIFTS and Chaos Earth. I really dig the work that was done on Savage RIFTS recently.

It's got to be cool being published in The Rifter, and good luck to you on your Savage Worlds setting.
Shawn Merrow liked this
 #12864  by Iain Chiswell-Carter
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 pm
It's vastly on the amateur side of things, but I've done a lot of DM'ing/GM'ing/Storytelling over the years and it has involved preparing a lot of written material for both world-building and notes. There is just something grand about watching something you have worked on and, at times, slaved over, be unleashed upon other players and seeing what they do with it.

I have tremendous respect for anyone that has managed to do this professionally because I have found it hard enough making it work for six people whose characters and natures I know - I don't want to imagine how much harder it is to make something more generic that anybody can run through!
 #12918  by Shawn Merrow
 Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 pm
Jeffrey A. Webb wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:50 pm
That's awesome, Colonel.

I'm a fan of Palladium games, in fact, the 1986 Robotech Book One: Macross was the first RPG I bought with my own money. I have played and love TMNT, Beyond the Supernatural, Ninjas & Superspies, Heroes Unlimited, and of course RIFTS and Chaos Earth. I really dig the work that was done on Savage RIFTS recently.
I have had a lot of fun playing there games over the years. They do have a 2nd edition of Robotech out that try to be more accurate to the source material. There will also be a new Kickstarter for Savage Rifts next year to add three more setting books to the game. I backed the first Kickstarter and ran demo games last RadCon in con minimum.
It's got to be cool being published in The Rifter, and good luck to you on your Savage Worlds setting.
It is an awesome feeling to see something you wrote be published and never seems to get old. Thanks for the well wishes, got a lot of work to do on the setting, than the playtesting will start.
Tracy Newby liked this
 #13006  by Jeffrey A. Webb
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:52 am
I totally dig the Robotech 2nd Edition. I think it's a huge improvement over the original- as nostalgically connected to it as I am.

I'm working on a campaign for running the Pioneer Mission, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use Palladium, or use Savage RIFTS as a guide and do Savage Robotech.
Kris Miller liked this
 #13008  by Shawn Merrow
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 am
I ran a campaign set during the Pioneer missing using Robotech 2nd. It had them going out and exploring the lost parts of the Robotech Master empire to see what resources they could use. The players were on a new class of ship that I created called the Falcon Class Recon Ship. It was a fun game but unforgettably did not get the chance to complete the campaign.
 #13011  by Kris Miller
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 am
Probably could have a thread just on Robotech roleplaying...

I've only played the early version of the Mechwarrior RPG, but have the latest printing. In your opinions, how is it?
Last edited by Kris Miller on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #13026  by Shawn Merrow
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:57 am
Kris Miller wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 am
I've only played the early version of the Mechwarrior RPG, but have the latest printing. In your opinions, how is it?
I played 2nd edition and loved it, hated the character creation system in 3rd edition. I don't know what the current edition looks like.
Kris Miller liked this
 #13030  by John Fairbairn, KDE, GACM
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:21 am
Hmm.

Say, people, might it be a cool idea to put together an RPG space-war game that plays out like the battles in DW's books? Especially if the player could select to be on either side of the battle and play in multi-player mode? I'm thinking of something that combines Homeworld Remastered, Eve Valkyrie, and Elite: Dangerous with DW's ship designs and his characters. Of course, a person might want to get permission ...

But given permission and once the code existed, might someone like Final Sword Productions or Steam like to retail and host the multi-player on the Web? I would think so. Looking on Steam's store, I could not find a listing for even one multi-player (or even a single-player) space-battle RPG game. They're all ground or sea based. Seems to me like an open market waiting to be filled. Oh, and wouldn't such an RPG be a wonderful invitation to buy and read his books and join TRMN?

It sounds to me like TRMN has people with the necessary skills to devise and activate such a game. I, for one, would play it in a heartbeat. As a profession, I do technical documentation, and I'd be interested in writing an installation and operation guide for a downloadable game of that type. I also do pseudo-code and code review for both operation and security.

Hmm. Just thinkin' ...

Regards -

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!