TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Army Marksmanship Clarifications for Non-Army Personnel (AO-1803-03, AD 09-1501)

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #17791  by Jeffrey A. Webb
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:59 pm
Cory Williamsen wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 pm
In RPG/LARP, what constitutes a "win"?

Lance Corporal Cory Williamsen, KDE , RMMC
If it's not obvious that a single player can "win" then there is no single winner. If you are in a LARP where only a single Persona can come away with an artifact in a Quest, that Persona can be considered to be a "winner." If only a party can succeed, as in most RPGs, there is no extra credit for the winner.
 #17792  by Jeffrey A. Webb
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:01 pm
ALCON,

For the record, the Army Marksmanship Program was a team effort to write, so not all aspects of it were my idea. Specifically, the extra point for "winning" and the need for a witness are contributions from other members and from the original Marksmanship Program the Navy created years ago. I will happily explain how they are intended to work, but if we get an opportunity to revisit the program as the manual comes together, perhaps I will go to bat on these two issues since they seem to generate confusion.
William Karnesky liked this
 #17793  by William Karnesky
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 pm
On that note, another issue that needs clarification regarding witnesses is how it interacts with tournaments. Under the current clarification of the rules if you hosted a tournament and counted each round individually (let's say it's a 8-man, single elimination bracket) then you would need an additional person for each round to witness the games (4 witnesses at the start) or you have to only run some of the games at a time, making the tournament run longer than necessary.
 #17794  by Jeffrey A. Webb
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:19 pm
The spirit of the Army version of the rules is that if there is more than just two folks playing, no additional witness is required. We've run several Battletech tournaments in brackets as you describe. But since every player and the referees are all TRMN members, even though each individual bout is 1v1, we don't have an additional witness because the whole room is full of TRMN members playing in the tournament.

Taking off my official hat for a moment and offering a personal opinion: I trust my Dragoons not to make up game sessions. We Drill twice a month with each Drill having 5 gaming hours, and in addition most members are also in many other games throughout the month. There's no need to cheat or fake gaming hours. I'm not sure there would be rampant cheatery in TRMN if there were no witness rule. I mean, one would hope the second person involved in the game report would keep the first honest. That said, that is not how the rules are written, and in my official capacity as Army Marksmanship Director, I do my best to explain and enforce the rules as they exist.
 #17795  by Cary Conder
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:33 pm
I am looking for individuals who would be interested in "racking up points" playing Words with Friends. It's free, takes almost no time at all. Average game might run ten minutes a day for five days. Easy way to get the pistol marksmanship award.

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!