TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Marksmanship Tracking Sheet (based on RMA-Standards as per AO 1803-03) v1.6

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #20949  by Andrew Sivula
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:50 pm
Peter, in first fleet we are tracking the weapon specialization as well and will notate what weapons they qualufied in as well as the overall category
Peter Gold wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:56 pm
Ok, odd question.
Now that system is sort of the same over all branches it's probably a good idea to keep count of all the categories until all are maxed out?
I'm thinking that if somebody shifts from navy to army the games played already as navy would end up counting towards the actual army awards. Rather than just getting army pistol based on navy pistol, they might have 3 or 4 army weapons that had counted towards navy pistol.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
 #20956  by Christopher Bayonet
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 pm
Peter Gold wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:56 pm
Ok, odd question.
Now that system is sort of the same over all branches it's probably a good idea to keep count of all the categories until all are maxed out?
I'm thinking that if somebody shifts from navy to army the games played already as navy would end up counting towards the actual army awards. Rather than just getting army pistol based on navy pistol, they might have 3 or 4 army weapons that had counted towards navy pistol.

Peter,

That's how I am working the spreadsheet ... :) And the way that I am viewing the awards are:

Grayson Marksmanship - "General Marksmanship"
RMN Pistol/Rifle - "Navy Qualifications"
RMA Weapon Classes - "Weapon Specialties"
 #20957  by Shel Tozer-Kilts
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:48 pm
Christopher Bayonet wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm
Shel Tozer-Kilts wrote:
Andrew Sivula wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 am
Based on the AO you do not add the weapon specializations together to get the rmn weapon qualification, you take the highest one and use that one, that is why its listed as max not sum
That really seems counter-intuitive to the whole idea of making any games count towards RMN/RMMC marksmanship qualifications, as you STILL have to put in a gazillion hours at one single type of game to earn a ribbon, instead of all games that count for rifle under the RMN/RMMC equivalency . . . counting for rifle.

I was very excited about this change, as it seemed like it actually put marksmanship awards in reach for those of us who don't have as much time to spend gaming, but it really doesn't after all.
It does not provide for an easier path... It provides for alternative paths.

You still must face your test without being given an easy option to achieve your goal. It is more attainable but you still need to put the work in for it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
I'd really like to request that you dial back the attitude.

You don't know how much I and other folks in my chapter work, or how spread out my chapter is, or how hard it is to get folks together to game - especially when not everybody is a wargamer, or willing to grind hours and hours on one single game or type of game. Most of us have other hobbies outside of TRMN as well.

As William said, I'm not looking for an "easy path." I'm looking for a path that doesn't require me to force everybody to play the same damn game every time we get together, when there are multiple games that would count towards rifle, if the Army hadn't broken them into different weapons. I'm totally fine with playing Memoir '44 every single weekend until I get the hours for High Expert. There are people in my chapter who are willing to play once or twice, but primarily they'd rather play other games.

When you're talking about asking people to put in 600 hours, don't you think allowing different categories under the Army rules to count under the Navy/Marine rules is a small bone to throw?
 #21204  by Shawn Merrow
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:37 am
Do you have a more generic version of the form as yours is written for the 3rd Fleet?
Last edited by Shawn Merrow on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #21206  by Kevin Walsh
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:12 am
and why cant Naval personnel qualify with army weapons? its canon that Scotty Tremaine was qualified High Expert with a Plasma Carbine... per his chasing after Honor when they were clearing Blackbird Base in Honor of the Queen
 #21208  by Kevin Walsh
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:22 am
the problem I have with this is the if were opening up marksmanship categories there should be some kind of naval equivilant especially for those of us who have crosstrained, opening up the categories as to whats playable isnt a big help when navy personnel cant qualify for them... my crew primarily plays Artemis, I am working on getting other games going... fleetwide I would have to look closer at statistics
 #21209  by Peter Gold
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:30 am
Uh unless I'm misunderstanding your comments, all the army categories count for the navy. A bunch of army weapon categories count for navy pistol and the other ones count for navy rifle.

#21210  by Kevin Walsh
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 am
No Sir, your not misunderstanding, my question is why cant navy personnel who cross-train as marines also earn the marine medals? or am I mis-understanding the implications of whats canon?
 #21211  by Andrew Sivula
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 am
The Marines, use the Navy Ribbons for rifle/pistol, only the army has distinct weapon qualifications.

Kevin Walsh wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 am
No Sir, your not misunderstanding, my question is why cant navy personnel who cross-train as marines also earn the marine medals? or am I mis-understanding the implications of whats canon?

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!