TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Marksmanship credit

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #20294  by Erik Plossl
 Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 am
Just to be sure, if my Bosun and I play Pathfinder with several non-members (although there is a third member going to be joining in shortly), would it count for us toward the marksmanship program while the third member isn't actively part of the game? There are at least three non-members who could verify that we were playing.
Terry Street liked this
 #20297  by Andrew Sivula
 Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:40 am
My reading of the rules say yes it would count at base time until such time as your 3rd member joins the party
Erik Plossl wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 am
Just to be sure, if my Bosun and I play Pathfinder with several non-members (although there is a third member going to be joining in shortly), would it count for us toward the marksmanship program while the third member isn't actively part of the game? There are at least three non-members who could verify that we were playing.
Terry Street liked this
 #20299  by Erik Plossl
 Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 am
I was under the understanding that at least three members had to be either present or involved to have the game count, but the latest stuff seems to suggest that it's possible for someone who is a non-member to count toward this.
 #20306  by Andrew Sivula
 Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:12 am
the AD says this "
For all games there must be a non-participating tRMN member to verify/witness for the game to count toward points except in cases where three or more members are participating in the same activity/game. If two TRMN/RMA members are playing a 2-Person game together, a third member must be present to verify/witness. For the purposes of online activities/games, participants in the game count toward this rule."
so your pathfinder games would be golden

Erik Plossl wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 am
I was under the understanding that at least three members had to be either present or involved to have the game count, but the latest stuff seems to suggest that it's possible for someone who is a non-member to count toward this.
 #20411  by Erik Plossl
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm
Andrew Sivula wrote:the AD says this "
For all games there must be a non-participating tRMN member to verify/witness for the game to count toward points except in cases where three or more members are participating in the same activity/game. If two TRMN/RMA members are playing a 2-Person game together, a third member must be present to verify/witness. For the purposes of online activities/games, participants in the game count toward this rule."
This is the reason I am asking. The way I read that, since the Pathfinder game involves 5 players (including the GM), but only two of them (currently) are TRMN members (the third TRMN member will be joining shortly), the game does not count until the third member joins, unless said member "observes" the game prior to joining it. Previously, it was possible to have a non-TRMN witness for a game. I'm looking to see if we can get clarification on if only TRMN members can "witness" a game where two members are playing, or if anyone can be that witness, even if they aren't TRMN members.
William Karnesky liked this
 #20420  by Andrew Sivula
 Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:36 am
Erik, going with the spirit of the award which is getting people to play and inclusiveness I would say it counts though the best expert right now until the manual is published is @Jeffrey A. Webb
Erik Plossl wrote:
This is the reason I am asking. The way I read that, since the Pathfinder game involves 5 players (including the GM), but only two of them (currently) are TRMN members (the third TRMN member will be joining shortly), the game does not count until the third member joins, unless said member "observes" the game prior to joining it. Previously, it was possible to have a non-TRMN witness for a game. I'm looking to see if we can get clarification on if only TRMN members can "witness" a game where two members are playing, or if anyone can be that witness, even if they aren't TRMN members.
 #20423  by Christopher Bayonet
 Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 am
Andrew Sivula wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:36 am
Erik, going with the spirit of the award which is getting people to play and inclusiveness I would say it counts though the best expert right now until the manual is published is @Jeffrey A. Webb
Erik Plossl wrote:
Colonel Webb has been a great support to me in my understanding and has helped me with the development of my spreadsheet on so many levels in understanding the logistics of the program.
 #20991  by Rissa Haynes
 Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 am
The AD states that there must be at least 3 TRMN members present to count. It doesn't matter if the 3rd member participates or watches. It also applies regardless of how many non-TRMN members are playing.

If 2/5 players are TRMN without a 3rd to witness, then you're technically SOL. Once you have 3/5, you're golden.

HOWEVER, should the Powers That Be agree to such rule bending...
For online games and personnel that are unable to physically meet other TRMN/RMA members (e.g. single person bivouacs and deployed soldiers IRL), High Command may wave the requirement for the presence of the nonparticipating TRMN/RMA member but must establish a system by which to verify their points on an individual basis such as screen shots.

Sometimes scheduling is the biggest reason that personnel can't meet up, not location. I argue that shipboard social media makes for a fantastic verification system when manning is limited. I know the Barbarossa has a private FB page for general camaraderie. Take a few selfies throughout the game, preferably with other non-TRMN players (who could potentially be recruited), and post 'em up for the ship to see.
 #21026  by Matthew Bowman
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 pm
I hadn't been aware that RPGs counted. I've been GMing a game since a few months after I joined TRMN three years ago. We've had 93 sessions, most of which have had three TRMN members present. I actually have an attendance record due to the way I record XP. Based on my rough estimate, that should get all three of us around 300 points or so.
 #21031  by Christopher Bayonet
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm
Matthew Bowman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:00 pm
I hadn't been aware that RPGs counted. I've been GMing a game since a few months after I joined TRMN three years ago. We've had 93 sessions, most of which have had three TRMN members present. I actually have an attendance record due to the way I record XP. Based on my rough estimate, that should get all three of us around 300 points or so.
To note - only those sessions which have been played after the AO was published. So pretty much anything from April, May and/or June would be eligible.

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!