TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Date Conversions

• Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
 #11794  by David Goldsberry
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:02 pm
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it via the search function. I was wondering how we determine in-universe dates. For example, the most recent certificate I've received has a date of "the Sixth Day of the Twelfth Month, 306 AL." How does that translate to PD dates? And am I correct in assuming that we add 2103 to the PD year to determine which CE/AD year that would be? Just curious for creating my own in-universe back story.
Emilio Desalvo liked this
 #11796  by David Weiner
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:37 pm
It's a bit more complicated than that. You might want to take a look at http://hem.bredband.net/bhj56bhj/honor/hh_conv.htm
 #11798  by Zachary White
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 pm
SCPO David Goldsberry wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:02 pm
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it via the search function. I was wondering how we determine in-universe dates. For example, the most recent certificate I've received has a date of "the Sixth Day of the Twelfth Month, 306 AL." How does that translate to PD dates? And am I correct in assuming that we add 2103 to the PD year to determine which CE/AD year that would be? Just curious for creating my own in-universe back story.
306AL is approximately 1945PD - which may or may not be correct in-universe date for TRMN.

I have certificates ranging from 303Al - to 302AL - to a cert awarded in 2014 that says 305AL.......so who knows

TRMN is "set" at a specified time ahead of the events in the honorverse novels - @Martin Lessem, FLA indicated when I asked him about this topic the other day that once the final novel is released and there is a set date to go from there will be an AO that will specify a date that we can use for calculating and back-calculating going forward.

It is rather complicated..............
 #11799  by David Goldsberry
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:23 pm
Yeah, I found http://hem.bredband.net/bhj56bhj/honor/hh_conv.htm via Google. So the conversion calculator on that site converted the date in my original post to 1945 PD. That puts it about 23 years after Shadow of Victory. Is that about right?
 #11800  by Zachary White
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:27 pm
SCPO David Goldsberry wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:23 pm
Yeah, I found http://hem.bredband.net/bhj56bhj/honor/hh_conv.htm via Google. So the conversion calculator on that site converted the date in my original post to 1945 PD. That puts it about 23 years after Shadow of Victory. Is that about right?
Yes - but then the date on the peerage certs for our peers say that we are in the 57th year of the reign of QEIII - as of last year - which if you add 57 to the year of her coronation in the 1880'sish (I did this math on the old FB page somewhere) - we get 1942 as the current year - not 1945PD

So its a bit dodgy trying to figure out which number is right.
 #11808  by John Fairbairn, KDE, GACM
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 pm
Zachary White wrote:

TRMN is "set" at a specified time ahead of the events in the honorverse novels - @Martin Lessem, FLA indicated when I asked him about this topic the other day that once the final novel is released and there is a set date to go from there will be an AO that will specify a date that we can use for calculating and back-calculating going forward.
I want to tromp on this right away - That is not saying, implying, or specifying that the "final novel" is imminent, scheduled, or even has been considered ... ... ... is it? :cry:

Regards -
 #11811  by Zachary White
 Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 pm
John Fairbairn wrote:
Zachary White wrote:

I want to tromp on this right away - That is not saying, implying, or specifying that the "final novel" is imminent, scheduled, or even has been considered ... ... ... is it? :cry:

Regards -
David just sent the final Honor Harrington novel to the publishers.

There will be more honorverse novels - but this upcoming Honor Harrington book is the last of the mainline series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #11862  by John Fairbairn, KDE, GACM
 Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:51 am
Zachary White wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 pm

David just sent the final Honor Harrington novel to the publishers.

There will be more honorverse novels - but this upcoming Honor Harrington book is the last of the mainline series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh durn. :| While I am glad to hear that there wi8ll be more Honorverse pubs, I am so sad to hear that his writing of the HH series is coming to an end. Here 's hoping that things come to a conclusion in a (not necessarily happy, but) satisfactory way. I have enjoyed his HH series immensely, but I can accept that all things eventually must come to an end.

Regards -
 #11874  by James Sena
 Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:45 pm
What gets even more complicated is David COULD mean "Last book with Honor Harrington as a major character" and he COULD write one 20, 30 or even 100 years in the future. I would love to see a "Mr Midshipman Alexander-Harrington" story for example!

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!