TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Rereading OBS

• Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
 #25351  by Jim McCoy
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:33 am
Since I recently joined the TRMN and needed to break out the books to answer the questions on my first exam anyway, I decided to reread everything starting from the beginning. Seeing as this is only my second time through the books, I started noticing things I had missed the first time...

Like the fact that On Basilisk Station introduces a LOT of people that are extremely important later.

I had no way to know this my first time.

I'm amazed. The Mad Wizard very obviously planned this whole series out very carefully.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
 #25354  by Richard Sams
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 am
Oh yes!!!

I mentioned recently in the FB Page for my DesRon that I was seeing lots of subtle stuff I’d missed the first time around.

One of the joys of re-reading the main series books again
 #25748  by John Fairbairn, KDE, GACM
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 am
While they can be read as 'light reading' by skimming past involved material, this series (in common with the Safehold series I am reading currently) is not written in a trivial manner. Every character mentioned has some part to play, and that may not happen for several books. I have found it needful to stop and fit each character into place, so I really understand how they affect the story later. It's annoying to have to go back several books to answer "Wait. Full stop. Who is this person and what are they doing?" If you just try to crash through them, you miss so much that is in the detail.

Normally, I can read a 1,000 page book in under 10 hours. These books can take days. :mrgreen:
 #25953  by Karyn Hill, KDE, QBM, MP
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:40 pm
John Fairbairn, KCE, MP wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 am
While they can be read as 'light reading' by skimming past involved material, this series (in common with the Safehold series I am reading currently) is not written in a trivial manner. Every character mentioned has some part to play, and that may not happen for several books. I have found it needful to stop and fit each character into place, so I really understand how they affect the story later. It's annoying to have to go back several books to answer "Wait. Full stop. Who is this person and what are they doing?" If you just try to crash through them, you miss so much that is in the detail.

Normally, I can read a 1,000 page book in under 10 hours. These books can take days. :mrgreen:
Hopefully there will an update to the compendium soon. It makes these things much easier.
 #26030  by John Fairbairn, KDE, GACM
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:13 am
Karyn Hill, KDE, QBM, MP wrote:
Hopefully there will an update to the compendium soon. It makes these things much easier.
Whoever the saint was who spent the hours and hours to compile the Compendium, I salute them. Updating it probably would take longer than to write the original. That's a project all unto itself, and might take years. At the rate Mr. Weber has been writing, by the time anyone could write an update, it would be out of date again. :roll:
 #26042  by Karyn Hill, KDE, QBM, MP
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 pm
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:13 am
Whoever the saint was who spent the hours and hours to compile the Compendium, I salute them. Updating it probably would take longer than to write the original. That's a project all unto itself, and might take years. At the rate Mr. Weber has been writing, by the time anyone could write an update, it would be out of date again. :roll:
That saint is Martin, and he has been working on it as time goes. I'm not sure how up to date it is but the bulk of it remains the same. He's a pretty busy guy, though, so I don't know when he'd have time to add in the info from the most recent novel.
 #26066  by Emilio Desalvo
 Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 pm
So, I have reread the mainline books, from OBS, and I am on the last chapter of A Rising Thunder.

Now, "let's see what happens..."
 #26090  by John Fairbairn, KDE, GACM
 Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm
That saint is Martin, and he has been working on it as time goes. I'm not sure how up to date it is but the bulk of it remains the same. He's a pretty busy guy, though, so I don't know when he'd have time to add in the info from the most recent novel.
All I can say is, if "Saint Martin" might like a bit of help I'd be willing to do so ... :oops:
 #26106  by Karyn Hill, KDE, QBM, MP
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:15 am
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm
All I can say is, if "Saint Martin" might like a bit of help I'd be willing to do so ... :oops:
From your lips to Saint Martin's ears!

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!