TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Sid Meier's Starships/et cetera - suitable for

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #28293  by Patrick Giese
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 pm
Greetings All!

I have been playing Sid Meier's Starships for some time as well as thinking about pulling in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Colonization and Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth.

For those unfamiliar, The game is a stand-alone title but shares the same universe as Civilization: Beyond Earth, putting the player in control of a fleet of space-faring craft. The player will use the fleet to explore the galaxy, meeting other human and alien forces, and dealing with problems through a combination of military, diplomatic, and other strategic options. Spacecraft in the fleet can be highly customized for meeting certain goals. The game features cross-connectivity features with Beyond Earth for those that own both titles. Meier wanted to focus on starship creation, including highly configurable ships, and space combat, while providing the player with "a universe filled with interstellar adventure, diplomacy, and exploration".

That being said, it ties into Apple's Game Center, but it is not human multiplayer like some of his other games - there's multiple opponents. Given that, does this qualify for gaming consideration for things like Sphinx Cup Range challenges and the like?

For Queen and Empire.

Patrick Giese
 #28354  by Chris Thompson, 3SL
 Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:23 pm
The Idea of the marksmanship program gaming challenges are to have TRMN members play games together.

Unless you are playing multiplayer with other members, the game time wouldn't count.

An easy game to play online, which shares your profile across devices is Star Realms. You take the time actually played (roughly 15 minutes per game) but it's easy to crank out a whole bunch, and play multiple games at once!

I hope that helps!
 #28378  by Patrick Giese
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:17 am
Chris Thompson, D3SL wrote:
The Idea of the marksmanship program gaming challenges are to have TRMN members play games together.

Unless you are playing multiplayer with other members, the game time wouldn't count.

An easy game to play online, which shares your profile across devices is Star Realms. You take the time actually played (roughly 15 minutes per game) but it's easy to crank out a whole bunch, and play multiple games at once!

I hope that helps!
Much obliged Baron and thanks for your service in office!!!

For Queen and Empire

Patrick Giese
 #29071  by Patrick Giese
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm
Chris Thompson, 3SL wrote:

I hope that helps!
I had an idea - that I thought might be worthy of discussion: If a group were to be playing Starships together in the same place, such that they were interacting indirectly, but were all playing the game - would that be an acceptable strategy in this case for the Marksmanship game requirements?

For Queen and Empire!

Patrick
 #29076  by Jana Otahal
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:37 pm
Patrick Giese wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:17 pm
I had an idea - that I thought might be worthy of discussion: If a group were to be playing Starships together in the same place, such that they were interacting indirectly, but were all playing the game - would that be an acceptable strategy in this case for the Marksmanship game requirements?

For Queen and Empire!

Patrick
Since this is a discussion on the subject, here's my opinion on it (so, not to be taken as a fact, please :) ):

As it was said previously, for the purpose of the Marksmanship program, playing the game together with other TRMN members is one of the key aspects. That is, if the rule is followed to the letter - now - in this case, if it's done as a meeting with other TRMN members, for the purpose of playing the game and having fun together? If that was up to me, I'd say it counts, as the spirit of the rule, that being spending time and playing games with other TRMN members, is fulfilled just fine.
William Karnesky liked this

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!