TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Revised/Updated Offical Marksmanship Manual

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #29147  by Frank Gonzalez
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 am
Laura Lochen, 1SL wrote:Maybe we
Can figure something out Frank. Check with Michael Timko to see what you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do ma'am.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#29148  by Mike Timko 4SL / 6SL Staff
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 am
Frank Gonzalez wrote:
Can figure something out Frank. Check with Michael Timko to see what you can do.
It would be difficult.

Our current lowest position is Editor and that is 1 hat position because you have the responsibility of proof reading text and suggesting corrections. Suggested corrections are then published by the Layout Designer.

I can’t think of a way to do 0 hats. If we were to create some new limited responsibility position, then I think it would have to be a 1/2 hat position like a BuTrain Instructor at minimum.

I am open to any suggestions if someone could think of a way to do a 0 hat position.

Sincerely,

Sir Michael J Timko, GCE, MC, CR, SC, OG
Commodore, RMN
Deputy Space Lord, BuComm
 #29149  by William Karnesky
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:56 am
Mike Timko 4SL / 6SL Staff wrote:
I am open to any suggestions if someone could think of a way to do a 0 hat position.
I was going to refrain from all further public comment and proceed solely through the bureaucratic process, however as a specific request was made...

One of the suggestions that I am putting forth next time I have a chance to edit my report (as I said, I already submitted it) is to allow people to volunteer without taking on a long term position. If people can sign up for a specific task of a specific project then it lowers the barrier of entry to help out. They can edit and review one document, or layout one document, or so forth. One of the problems of locking everything away to specific areas that people have to take minimum 6-month terms to help(1) is it reduces the pool of people available and makes people less likely to raise their hand.

When a new project spins up you open up a call for people to work on that specific project, get 2-3 people for each position and possibly more so they can cover each other if one falls ill or other issues befall one of them, and then when the project is complete, they stand down.

In the corporate world, we call these people contract workers and there are several advantages to them:
  • Less staff full-time staff is needed to be productive (which can still oversee and ensure the quality remains high)
  • It lowers the barrier of entry and creates a more open and collaborative environment within the RMN
  • it addresses the (IMO unfounded) fears that a proper crowdsourced solution would cause chaos and more delays and frustration than the current system
  • It reduces the likelihood of people being unavailable for the job; because these are short term projects a person who volunteers is more likely to be clear on their schedule than someone who attained a post many months ago.
  • because a person is signing up for one specific project they are not taking on nearly as much responsibility; "editor of _____" is much more narrow in scope than "editor" and I find people are much more likely to volunteer for a specific task than they are for a long-term position.
The club could benefit greatly by making sure there are lots of small opportunities to contribute without a big commitment. I think projects like this should be a prime candidate for that given their low-impact internal nature and that their release is deemed low priority enough that there they get re-written after being fully approved instead of being released and allowing a version 2 to come out at a later date.

Of course, it seems there is no objection to releasing the text to the wiki, so we could just do that and we'll get the PDF when it comes ;)

(1) Or whatever the minimum length for a post is, the most recent requests I've seen all stated 6-months, hence my usage.
 #29150  by Andrew Sivula
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 am
@Frank Gonzalez I was looking into this Frank you only are at 1.5 "hats" based on your instructor billets you can take on a 1.0 hat billet as that would only take you to 2.5 with an instructor billet.
Frank Gonzalez wrote:
It would be difficult.

Our current lowest position is Editor and that is 1 hat position because you have the responsibility of proof reading text and suggesting corrections. Suggested corrections are then published by the Layout Designer.

I can’t think of a way to do 0 hats. If we were to create some new limited responsibility position, then I think it would have to be a 1/2 hat position like a BuTrain Instructor at minimum.

Sincerely,

Commodore, RMN
 #29194  by Larry D French Sr
 Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 pm
Where can I download a copy of the current Marksmanship Manual?
 #29801  by William Karnesky
 Fri May 31, 2019 12:10 am
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Duane Kietzmann wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:20 pm
Do we have an estimated date yet as to when the marksmanship manual will be coming out?
I ask as it has been another 4 months since the last post on this question.
It should be available to the membership soon.

It is in its final phase of review. We are making a few technical adjustments.

Sincerely,

Commodore, RMN
Given that it has been a full month and a half since our last status update, can we get another?

Edited for spelling corrections
 #30094  by Mike Timko 4SL / 6SL Staff
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:28 pm
Fiona,

At this time, the staff that oversees manual design & production is being looked at to see where we need help the most.

Once we determine our needs, job postings will go up here in the Forums.

Michael
D4SL
 #30300  by William Karnesky
 Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:25 pm
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Duane Kietzmann wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:20 pm
Do we have an estimated date yet as to when the marksmanship manual will be coming out?
I ask as it has been another 4 months since the last post on this question.
It should be available to the membership soon.

It is in its final phase of review. We are making a few technical adjustments.

Sincerely,

Commodore, RMN
Given that it has new been a full two and a half months since our last status update, can we get another?
David Misener liked this

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!