TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Artemis over the Internet

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #30513  by Timber Lupindo
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 pm
Setting up the server and client computers to play Artemis on a LAN is pretty simple. The instance set up as "server" tells you its ip address and everybody else connects to it. All the network traffic stays local and you don't need any jiggery pokery to get it to work.

Setting up an Artemis server for your remote friends is possible. It takes poking a hole in your firewall, and that can be a little tricky and obscure. Different routers use different software and have different setups, so it's hard to get specific. So here it is in general terms.
1. Find out from your router what the ip address range is for local static addresses. Mine was set up so the entire range was for DHCP, so I had to change the DHCP range.
2. Configure your server computer's network to use a static IP address in in the non-DHCP range.
3. If your server computer has a firewall, talk to it in gentle terms about allowing inbound traffic on port 2010.
4. Talk to your router about directing traffic from outside on port 2010 to your server computer's ip address.
5. Determine your router's address on the Internet. That's the ip address you tell your Artemis friends. Your Artemis server will not know its Internet (WAN) address, only its local (LAN) address. 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.* are LAN addresses. The router handles the conversion from WAN to LAN address.

You cannot debug this from inside your LAN; you will need someone out in the untamed Internet to hep you test the setup. Don't fret if it doesn't work for you the first time. I have done it (with my server running on a Mac!) and a fellow crew member has done it.

Comments for clarifications will be greatly appreciated!

[Edited: Artemis uses Port 2010]
Last edited by Timber Lupindo on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #30514  by Timber Lupindo
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:25 pm
You can play Artemis on your Mac. Here are detailed click-by-click instructions:

1. Download Artemis_full_v2_7_0.exe (In your group, someone has to buy the full version and make the exe available. We used Google Drive.)
2. download PlayOnMac_4.3.4.dmg
3. open PlayOnMac_4.3.4.dmg
4. copy PlayOnMac to Applications
5. Copy Artemis_full_v2_7_0.exe to Applications
6. from Applications, launch PlayOnMac
7. System Preferences - Security & Privacy open it anyway
8. Play on Mac - Make a compatibility database? yes
9. PlayOnMac - Install a Program
10. Install a non-listed program
11. Don’t remind me any more, Next
12. Don’t remind me any more, Next
13. Next
14. New Virtual Drive, Next
15. Artemis_full_v2_7_0, Next
16. Next
17. 32 bit, Next
18. Install, Install, Browse
19. Select Artemis_full_v2_7_0, Open, Next
20. Welcome to Artemis Setup, Next
21. (*) Anyone, Next
22. Destination folder, leave as is, Install
23. Finish
24. click Artemis.exe, Next
25. Next
26. I don’t want to make another shortcut. Next
27. Click Artemis
28. Click Run
29. pick your resolution, Start Game
30. Start Server (Yes! I've done it!) or Start Client
 #30518  by David Misener
 Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 am
Have you had anyone personally test the Mac version instructions? I know I had tried and failed to get it working on my partner's mac a few years ago.
 #30519  by Jana Otahal
 Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 am
Handy guide, Chief!
One suggestion though, if you can, post screenshots of what adjustments you made to your router/Adapter, or alternatively, record yourself making these needed changes. It may be tricky for people not as saavy with their computers, to even find out where to find these things! :)
 #30521  by Alex Shaffer
 Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:02 am
And if I may comment, I used Hamachi a few years back as 'LAN substitute' by making a free VPN to get everyone connected with it, which allows up to 5 computers connected to the network, so good for smaller game setups, or a potential work around is that the limit of 5 per network, so could potentially have the game server hosting as the central point of connection, and make several networks with some of the players connecting to it in each network to get around that issue.
https://www.vpn.net/
 #30549  by Timber Lupindo
 Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:51 pm
David Misener wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 am
Have you had anyone personally test the Mac version instructions? I know I had tried and failed to get it working on my partner's mac a few years ago.
I wrote them as I installed it on my Macs (iMac and Mac Pro) just a few weeks ago. Maybe various bits and pieces changed since then?
 #30550  by Timber Lupindo
 Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Jana Otahal wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 am
Handy guide, Chief!
One suggestion though, if you can, post screenshots of what adjustments you made to your router/Adapter, or alternatively, record yourself making these needed changes. It may be tricky for people not as saavy with their computers, to even find out where to find these things! :)
I will poke at my router and tease out again the specific parameter and changes I made. The hard part is that the terms aren't completely standardized, and you may have to just fix the hell out of it to get it to work. Let me see if I can write something simultaneously general and specific enough to work.
 #30551  by Timber Lupindo
 Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 pm
Alex Shaffer wrote:
And if I may comment, I used Hamachi a few years back as 'LAN substitute' by making a free VPN to get everyone connected with it, which allows up to 5 computers connected to the network, so good for smaller game setups, or a potential work around is that the limit of 5 per network, so could potentially have the game server hosting as the central point of connection, and make several networks with some of the players connecting to it in each network to get around that issue.
Ooo, VPN is also a solution to the problem. If you want to post click-by-click directions for setting that up, that could be useful.
 #30552  by Alex Shaffer
 Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:43 pm
Timber Lupindo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 pm
Alex Shaffer wrote:
Ooo, VPN is also a solution to the problem. If you want to post click-by-click directions for setting that up, that could be useful.
I'll add it to my to-do list as going to have to remember how to do it.

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!