TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• M7 Pulser project

• Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
 #30798  by Tracy Newby
 Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 pm
Are there any 3D files available for the M7/M9 Pulse Pistols? Would that be a BuNine question? I know that someone had made some very nice pistols, plastic and metal, not terribly long ago (I have held one in my hands). I have a 3D printer and would like to experiment with printing them for use within the club (not looking to sell outside of TRMN).

Thanks,
Tracy Newby
Philip Culmer liked this
 #30805  by Thomas Hathaway IV
 Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm
I am fairly good with Fusion 360. I could probably knock something out. The only semi canonical image of a pulser is from the SITS supplement: Jayne Intelligence Review .

If I were building a prop version of this I might start with an Airsoft version of a Ruger Mk I pistol. The grip is about the right shape and angle. I would then disassemble the pistol, render it incapable of firing anything. or possibly make a silicone mold and cast the receiver in resin (to remove all doubt)

I would probably design the upper portion in Fusion 360 3D print it, smooth it out then make another mold from silicone and cast it in resin. I have had some bad luck with 3D printed props de-laminating at cons. Resin props tend to pass the 15 foot rule a little better than printed props as well.
Tracy Newby liked this
 #30806  by Duane Kietzmann
 Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:03 pm
Check out House of Steel which has a image. I've included them here.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Tracy Newby liked this
 #30807  by Tracy Newby
 Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:44 pm
Excellent suggestions. I have one of the nice metal repros that someone had made a while back and am looking at reproducing them since they are no longer in production. I would prefer to 3D print them or 3D print a master and mold off of that as I am leery of recasting directly off of someone else's work.

Tracy
Paul McPherson liked this
 #30808  by Tracy Newby
 Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:47 pm
If I can get a good 3D scan off of the one I have or can get some good images I can work from, that is my goal at present. I have access to and experience with silicon molding and resin casting. I can print other Sci-Fi pistols and rifles in sections.

One of the other advantages of either method is to allow space for electronics inside. A print void can be factored in or a hollow casting can be made.

Tracy

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!