TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Swords!

• Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
Discuss various aspects of the Honorverse universe here. Please be mindful of what you post, as not everybody has read the same amount of books. DO NOT post Honorverse fan fiction here under ANY circumstances!
 #39846  by Joshua Dadd
 Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 pm
Hello my friends!

I'm unsure where best to post this topic, but this place seemed as good as any.

I have historically always been interested in the martial arts, holding several dan grades and instructor qualifications.

Recently I have had an inclination to explore historical swordplay and European arts.

This leads me into my question...

I have only read the first three books in the series, and don't recall anything in particular referencing the sword used in the Manticoran Navy. We see it on formal uniforms, and it is addressed within our TRMN uniform manuals.

What i would like to know, preferably from someone that has read the entire Honorvesre series, is whether or not there is any Canon reference to swordplay. Is there a particular style of sword art that is taught to RMN officers? What kind of sword is it that is worn with the uniforms? If there is reference to any of this, does it relate to any particular sword and art trained in the real world?

I'm sure we must have some HEMA enthusiasts that could help to enlighten me.
 #39850  by Kevin Smith
 Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 am
The Graysons have their own style of sword combat but that's it. It's important in Flag in Exile (Book 5) and that's pretty much it for swords being used in combat in the series that I can remember. Grayson swords are a bit weird as they have a katana-like blade with a cross guard perpendicular to the plane of the blade. Why they look like katanas is explained in the book.

When Honor is learning to use a Grayson sword there is reference to her training in unarmed combat (Coup de Vitesse) but none that I remember to previous training with a sword. The reasonable conclusion is that the RMN does not train officers in sword combat. There are probably some RMN officers who learn to use their swords on their own time, but they would essentially be the equivalent of HEMA practitioners or sport fencers.
 #39864  by Zachary White
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 pm
The RMN Naval Sword serves in a strictly ceremonial capacity. It is a formal decoration and nothing else - similar to many ceremonial swords worn by military officers once sword fighting went out of style/practicality. Outside an officer electing to take fencing lessons, swordplay has no practical purpose and is most likely not taught in any formal capacity at the Naval Academy. Having read the entire series I cannot recall anything like this being mentioned.

The design is based VERY heavily on a historical sword called a “Spadroon” - common in the militaries of Earth in the 17th and 18th centuries pre-diaspora.

The example used as the basis for the RMN sword belonged to Admiral Horatio Nelson. This information comes from my own research and has been corroborated as accurate by BuNine:

While the Graysons still use swords for a practical purpose - GSN naval officers do not carry a sword in any formal uniform unless they are a Steadholder, in which case they are permitted to carry their family sword with their mess dress uniform. This has also been corroborated by BuNine.

Hope that helps you with what you were looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #39865  by Joshua Dadd
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 pm
Thank you for the responses, much obliged!

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!