TRMN

These are the official forums of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association 

• Artemis in a box concept

• Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
Report on marksmanship events your chapter has undertaken (pictures and/or videos are very much encouraged), or discuss various board or online games that you've played through the marksmanship program, or even would like to be considered to be added into the program.
 #40023  by Patrick Giese
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:50 pm
Greetings all!
As we contemplate returning to the enjoyment of in-person cons and events (using all the recommended precautions naturally), I started thinking about how much fun the Artemis Simulator is and how to enhance setup and management of the experience.

Currently there are at least two setups in TRMN, and I was thinking about what it would take to develop Artemis in a box - which would be easily transportable, budget-conscious and deliver a good experience.

Throwing this out here for discussion.
William Karnesky liked this
 #40024  by William Karnesky
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:53 pm
Kamerling has close to that.

We have a checklist for equipment that we verify at the beginning of Con season (outside con season equipment sometimes gets used since it is personal equipment and much of it doesn't belong to the ship) and have an officer or Warrant officer sign off when packing up after every con. I can produce those checklists later but here is the general gist. I strongly suggest hardwiring the networking, as it limits potential issues like network interference. Our list assumes that we can use a TV at the destination for the main screen.
  • Set up and teardown instructions
  • Main screen computer (better if it is a little more powerful as it handles all the work)
  • 5-8 inexpensive laptops or tablets (Touchscreen preferred, count depends on if you want fighters or not)
  • (Optional) Lighting system and cables (this is boxed and itemized separately)
  • Router
  • Switch if Router has less than 10 points and if wired networking
  • Network cables (Bring extra! At least 1-2 MORE than you need!)
  • Joystick for Helm, possibly more for fighters
  • Extension cords and Power Strips (Again, bring Extra!)
  • gaffer's tape (Eliminate tripping hazards!!)
  • screen safe disinfectant wipes
  • cheat sheets
  • (Optional) Separate computer and projector to display observation mode for grabbing attention
Timber Lupindo liked this
 #40025  by Patrick Giese
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:20 pm
William Karnesky wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:53 pm
Kamerling has close to that.

We have a checklist for equipment that we verify at the beginning of Con season (outside con season equipment sometimes gets used since it is personal equipment and much of it doesn't belong to the ship) and have an officer or Warrant officer sign off when packing up after every con. I can produce those checklists later but here is the general gist. I strongly suggest hardwiring the networking, as it limits potential issues like network interference. Our list assumes that we can use a TV at the destination for the main screen.
  • Set up and teardown instructions
  • Main screen computer (better if it is a little more powerful as it handles all the work)
  • 5-8 inexpensive laptops or tablets (Touchscreen preferred, count depends on if you want fighters or not)
  • (Optional) Lighting system and cables (this is boxed and itemized separately)
  • Router
  • Switch if Router has less than 10 points and if wired networking
  • Network cables (Bring extra! At least 1-2 MORE than you need!)
  • Joystick for Helm, possibly more for fighters
  • Extension cords and Power Strips (Again, bring Extra!)
  • gaffer's tape (Eliminate tripping hazards!!)
  • screen safe disinfectant wipes
  • cheat sheets
  • (Optional) Separate computer and projector to display observation mode for grabbing attention
Is the use of the router for internet connectivity or wifi? I can see setting up with a good switch to handle wired traffic.
 #40026  by William Karnesky
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:01 pm
Patrick Giese wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:20 pm
Is the use of the router for internet connectivity or wifi? I can see setting up with a good switch to handle wired traffic.
We don't connect anything to the internet while at conventions, and we ensure that all computers stay the same once con season starts (we update and test OS and software between con seasons), we use the router for DHCP.
 #40027  by Duane Kietzmann
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:23 pm
What type of tablets do you use, how powerful?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#40028  by William Karnesky
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:44 pm
Duane Kietzmann wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:23 pm
What type of tablets do you use, how powerful?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
For the Pcs we use old thinkpads that were surplus from (I believe) a school. The individual stations have very low requirements to run the games. Any computer within the past decade (probably within the past two or three decades) can handle being a front-end if it can install directx9.

The Main Screen computer that acts as the server does more processing and does the lights if you have them, so it's newer, but ours has an Intel core i4, and, IIRC, a mobile graphics card with 2gb of graphics RAM and it is probably still a bit on an overkill
 #40029  by John Neitz, Duke of Westmarch
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm
In addition to suggestions from our experienced TRMN members here, you may find the Artemis forums have additional helpful information: https://artemis.forumchitchat.com/

In a related subject, I have recently enjoyed some online sessions of another spaceship bridge simulator called Starship Horizons. https://www.starshiphorizons.com/
I really like the look and features of this game.

Note especially the Join Us On Discord link on the Starship Horizons website. On Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons there is open play, with players communicating over a Discord voice channel. The bridge host posts a server URL, and you can play through your web browser without needing to download the game.

Have a look!
 #40045  by Chris Thompson, 3SL
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 pm
We have done just that, and successfully taken the setups to multiple conventions over the years. We market it as "HMS Artemis Bridge Simulator" and it's a staple at our local major convention, Convergence.

It currently consists of TWO fully immersive setups, as well as several fighters. The fully immersive setups include DMX controlled lighting, custom designed and made controls, and walls and screens. One setup has even custom modified seats.

Both setups easily fit inside a 24" rental truck, with room to spare, and we can set it up in a couple days. We have options for more basic setups, in case we don't have enough volunteers, or the convention Is smaller and we don't have space for all the equipment.
Hopefully I can post a bunch if photos to show whet we've got, I will have to host them someplace before I can get to that, so please stand by!
 #40047  by Patrick Giese
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 am
Chris Thompson, 3SL wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:28 pm
We have done just that, and successfully taken the setups to multiple conventions over the years. We market it as "HMS Artemis Bridge Simulator" and it's a staple at our local major convention, Convergence.

It currently consists of TWO fully immersive setups, as well as several fighters. The fully immersive setups include DMX controlled lighting, custom designed and made controls, and walls and screens. One setup has even custom modified seats.

Both setups easily fit inside a 24" rental truck, with room to spare, and we can set it up in a couple days. We have options for more basic setups, in case we don't have enough volunteers, or the convention Is smaller and we don't have space for all the equipment.
Hopefully I can post a bunch if photos to show whet we've got, I will have to host them someplace before I can get to that, so please stand by!
It was precisely this set-up concept I was looking to build upon for folks here in 6th Fleet/Texas Oklahoma, for gaming/Marksmanship/general fun.
 #40048  by Chris Thompson, 3SL
 Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:17 am
If you want, I can inventory what we have, and see if my source has more of the inexpensive pc's.

I'll get some photos on a hosting site so I can share them here.

Donate

Make a donation for Big Cat Rescue

Make a donation for the Most Regal Order of Queen Elizabeth

About us

Welcome to The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association's Forums. We are here to celebrate the work of David Weber and the universe he has created in his Honor Harrington books. Our hierarchy structure is set up based on what is in the books. We have gone to great lengths to make sure we are as true to the books as possible, using the books, and input from David Weber and Ad Astra as our guide. We want you to have a positive fandom experience, so please explore all our site has to offer and if you like what you see, feel free to join us. All we ask is that you remember one thing; no matter what you do, Do It With Honor!

Our Conventions

Check out our conventions!